Free Computer Science Mentoring for Youth
Hello! I am a software engineer working in Manhattan for the past 3 years. I want to provide free mentoring for students in grades 9 - 11 that are interested in getting an introduction to computer science. I am specifically looking to mentor students who may have trouble finding opportunities to get introduced to the study of computer science or students who have trouble affording a private mentor.
This is what you can expect from this opportunity
- 12 in-person sessions (ideally once a week, but can be flexible) with me going over material I have prepared that will give the student an introduction to computer science & programming
- 40 minute sessions
- I can do sessions in English or Korean (I only have conversational fluency in Korean)
- a small amount of homework after each session
- completely free & commitment free (if the student wants to stop the mentorship we can stop, we don't have to do all 12 sessions)
- NOT an opportunity to get help with schoolwork or other subjects than computer science
- sessions can take place at the student's home preferably as long as it is less than 1 hour commute from my home (Williamsburg, Brooklyn)
My goals from doing this:
- Give youth an introduction to the field of computer science & software engineering as a career
- Teach basic programming concepts to students
- Give youth an opportunity to learn/improve skills that may be useful later in life
Why am I doing this?
I want to combine my professional skills and love of volunteering to give youth a chance to learn about the field of computer science. An opportunity I wish I had when I was in grade 9 - 11.
Please email me if you are interested or have any questions and we can have a chat or video call before the first session.